David R. Martin, Mayor
Mayor • David R. Martin
888 Washington Blvd.
Stamford, CT 06901
Mayor’s Office: 203-977-4150
Citizen Services Center: 203-977-4140
City Web site:
Department of Social Services
Director • Ellen E. Bromley • 203-977-4112
Government Center Front Desk, 8th Floor • 203-977-5652
Social Services, 9th Floor • 203-977-4050
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Municipal Agent for the Elderly • 203-977-4747 • 9th Floor of Government Center
Municipal Agent for the Elderly assists city residents aged 60+ by providing information and referrals to local, state and federal services and benefit programs. The Agent also can help seniors fill out applications for benefits or housing. Appointments are preferred. Appointments may be with individuals, family members or caregivers and can be scheduled as either office or home visits.
Programs and services include:
• Senior Health Program provides free health screening, education, counseling and referrals for low-income and minority older adults aged 60+. The program’s goal is to increase healthy outcomes for seniors through prevention, education and access to health care. Services are provided at various senior housing sites, senior centers and churches. For more information, contact Rochak Prudhan, R.N., at 203-977-4390 or email@example.com.
• MedAssist Choices is free service with trained counselors. Mission is to help residents understand how they can best handle health care choices. Counselors help residents file forms and collect benefits to which they are entitled. Information provided on Medicare supplemental insurance, HMOs, etc.
Government Center, 9th Floor • 203-977-5297
Hours: By appointment only.
Stamford Senior Center, Inc.
The Stamford Senior Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, non sectarian organization established in 1996 to help serve the needs of Stamford’s older adult population.
Our Mission is to provide affordable opportunities for older adults in the greater Stamford area to be active and healthy in mind and body and remain connected to their community in a welcoming, safe and diverse environment.
Government Center, 2nd Floor
203-977-5151 Fax: 203-977-5152
Program Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Executive Director • Christina K. Crain, MSW
Assistant to Director • Gina Compolattaro
Hispanic Program Coordinator • Lili Winsor
Program Assistant • Esther Bramble
Executive Director Receptionist • Ada Caro
Programs and services include: Art classes, Community Café Program, exercise classes, language classes, Hispanic Senior Club, Technology classes and news trips.
A leading resource for older adults, SilverSource provides supportive services and direct assistance to those in need to ensure the safety, health and quality of life of older residents. SilverSource is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1908. All services are provided free of charge. SilverSource helps the over-60 population and their families navigate emergency situations, manage immediate, short-term issues and plan for long-term transitions. A team of experienced social workers meets the needs of older adults in a spirit of dignity and respect.
Programs and Services: Case Management and Outreach for Benefits Eligibility, Emergency Financial Assistance, Housing, Energy Assistance, Nutrition, and Medical Care, including prescription, vision, dental and hearing needs; Ride to Wellness Medical Transportation; Consultation, counseling and referrals for older adults and their families seeking help or advice regarding a loved one; Aging Information Resource Center; Volunteer Program; Friendly Visitor/Friendly Shopper programs.
2009 Summer Street
Stamford, CT 06905
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
See website for holiday or weather-related closings.
Please call us regarding Volunteer Opportunities.
Executive Director • Kathleen Bordelon
SilverSource Ride to Wellness Medical Transportation
The Ride to Wellness transportation program is available for over-60 Stamford residents in need of affordable transportation to and from a doctor or a medical professional’s office in Stamford. Now serving both ambulatory clients and wheelchair-users. Small, voluntary contributions are appreciated to support the service.
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9am - 2pm, except holidays. For an appointment, please call 203-324-6584.
Supportive Services for Families and Caregivers
Municipal Agent for the Elderly has information on support groups, respite programs, more. 203-977-4050.
Groups and programs covered include:
• Access Ambulance Company of Stamford Emergency Medical Services, which has Family and Friends CPR Program.
Call 203-637-2351 for information.
• Stamford Health System, which has Spousal Support Group meeting semimonthly for spouses of persons with Alzheimer’s or other dementia. Moderated by clinical psychologist. No fee.
26 Palmers Hill Rd.
Stamford, CT 06902
• Access Ambulance Company, Inc. Cooperative effort between Greenwich EMS and Stamford EMS to provide some non-emergency medical transportation by ambulance or Invalid Coach. Hours: 24/7 by appointment.
Call 203-637-2351 for information.
• Dispatch-a-Ride/Easy Access/Town-to-Town. Services that provide transportation for disabled persons meeting eligibility requirements to various points in Stamford/Norwalk area • 203-299-5180
• Share the Fare. All Stamford elderly and disabled individuals are eligible for the Share the Fare Program, which is a reduced fare taxi voucher program. Taxi vouchers are sold in books of 10 each and are valued at $50, but sold for $25. Taxicab companies that accept the vouchers are listed on the back of the vouchers. Four books valuing $100 may be purchased in one month. Those who wish to purchase must bring photo identification with a Stamford address listed. Vouchers are sold in the Cashiering and Permitting Office located in the lobby of the Government Center, 888 Washington Blvd., Stamford, CT 06901. This office is open Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., except in the summer, when it is open 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Cash or checks are the only acceptable forms of payment. For more information, please call 203-977-4050.
• Ride to Wellness. SilverSource, Inc. drives ambulatory, over-60 Stamford residents, in need of affordable transportation, to and from doctor or medical professional’s office. Voluntary contributions appreciated to support the service. Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., except holidays. Call for an appointment, 203-324-6584.
Tax Relief Programs
Information regarding various tax/rent circuit breakers, freezes, exemptions and rebates for residents who are elderly, disabled or veterans available from Taxation Services Representatives in Office of Assessment and Tax Collection.
Government Center, 6th Floor • 203-977-5888 • Fax: 203-977-5553
Assessor • Greg Stackpole
Connecticut Rent Rebate Program takes place April 1- Oct. 1. The program is open to persons 18 years and older who have been deemed disabled or persons who have turned 65 years of age during the previous calendar year. There are income limits. For information, call 203-977-4747.
SENIOR MEN’S ASSOCIATION OF STAMFORD
Nonprofit organization open to all men age 55 and older. The group, numbering in the hundreds, is nondenominational but meets every Thurs., Sept.-June, at 10 a.m. at Congregation Agudath Shalom on Strawberry Hill Ave. at Colonial Rd. for speakers, discussions, refreshments, socializing. Additionally, the group organizes: visits to various attractions; card games; golf tournaments; picnics; luncheons. The group is committed to community services and outreach, such as food drives, Songsters’ visits to nursing homes.
301 Strawberry Hill Ave, Stamford, CT 06902
203-539-0636 • E-mail: • Website: • U.S. Mail: SMAS, P.O. Box 8237, Stamford, CT 06905
President • Alice Knapp
Main Library/DiMattia Bldg.
One Public Library Plaza
Mon.-Thurs., 10 a.m.-9 p.m.• Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m. • Sun. 1-5 p.m.
Harry Bennett Branch
115 Vine Rd.• 203-351-8291
Mon. & Wed., 10 a.m.-8 p.m. • Thurs., 1-6 p.m. Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.• Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Weed Memorial & Hollander Branch
1143 Hope St.
Tues. & Thurs., 10 a.m.-7 p.m.• Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
South End Branch
34 Woodland Ave. • 203-351-8280
Tues. & Wed., 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m.• Thurs., 12-7 p.m. Sat., 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Tues.-Thurs., 9:15 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Itinerary available at:
203-323-2149 Fax: 203-964-1830
888 Washington Blvd.
P.O. Box 10152
Stamford, CT 06904-2152
Hours: Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Judge • Gerald M. Fox, III
Call 911 for all emergencies.
805 Bedford St.
Stamford, CT 06901
Non-emergencies: 203-977-4444 • Fax: 203-977-5583
Chief • Thomas Wuennemann • 203-977-4681
Fire Chief • Trevor Roach • 203-977-4671
Station 1: Central Fire Headquarters 629 Main Street, Stamford • Stamford, CT 06901• (203) 977-4763
Station 2: South End Fire 215 Washington Blvd. • Stamford, CT 06902 • (203) 977-5201
Station 3: West Side Fire 80 Fairfield Avenue • Stamford, CT 06902 • (203) 977-5202
Station 4: East Side/Shippan Fire 364 Shippan Avenue • Stamford, CT 06902 • (203) 977-5203
Station 5: Woodside Fire 1600 Washington Blvd. • Stamford, CT 06902 • (203) 977-5204
Community Emergency Response Team
Stamford’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, and disaster medical operations. Using their training, CERT members are able to assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event and can take a more active role in preparing their community. To join Stamford’s CERT team, please contact the Coordinator.
Coordinator • Chris Munger • E-mail:
Stamford Emergency Medical Services, Inc. (SEMS)
Motto: “A Matter of Life.”
Headquarters: 684 Long Ridge Rd. , Stamford, CT 06902 Non-emergencies: 203-968-1118
Web site: Ambulance stations are located at: West Side Fire Station, Tully Health Center, Glenbrook Fire Department and 24 Vine Road.
Community Education and Outreach Programs include:
• Senior Awareness for Emergencies (SAFE). SEMS arranges visits to senior buildings to discuss emergency preparedness and medical care. Blood pressure screenings also performed.
• File of Life Program. SEMS educates residents on this program in which seniors place medical and other pertinent information in magnetic folder kept on refrigerator. In emergency, responders can obtain information if individual unable to offer it.
Other Important Phone Numbers
Animal Care and Control • 203-977-4437
Recreation Services • 203-977-5214
Registrars of Voters • 203-977-4009 and 203-977-4011
Town and City Clerk • 203-977-4054
Stamford’s Population by Age
(Source: Latest Decennial U.S. Census)
Total 60+ 22,263
Total population of Stamford: 122,643
Percentage 60 years of age or over: 18.1%
Land area: 37.8 sq. mi.